[CT Birds] CT Rarity Roundup?

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 15:47:56 EST 2014

Hi All,

Some of you may be familiar with the "Rarity Roundups" that take place in
nearby states. They typically occur during the most lucrative time for
rarities during the fall, which in New England, is basically the month of
November. Although the setup is somewhat different depending on the
specific "roundup", the goal is always the same: to find rarities.
Obviously, megas are the top targets, but the day is really about finding
quality birds, with quality people. Derek Lovitch sums up the target fare
rather nicely as "vagrants, lingering migrants, pioneers, irruptives, and
other seasonal highlights." At the end of the day, some roundups include a
compilation much like CBCs, where participants get together to discuss the
good birds that were found, go over the checklists, and enjoy dinner.

This year, I'm proposing we do the same thing in Connecticut. Now, the
state itself is a comparatively big place, so instead, I say we limit the
count to the coastal areas of Fairfield County (or possibly an even smaller
geographic area than this). Teams could spend the daylight scouring the
thickets, fields, and forests lining the coast for rarities, then head to
the compilation to share their findings. A weekend day would obviously be
best for this effort, and thus one of the days on the weekends of November
8 and 9, or November 15 and 16 probably works best.

I'd love to hear feedback on the possibility of making this a reality. It
might be cutting it a little close to bring this up so close to the
proposed roundup dates, but if there are interested parties, then hopefully
we can make this happen.

Alex Burdo