[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge 11/8: 256 Raptors inc. Golden Eagle, 92 Red-Shoulders and 10, 000+ Grackles

Ryan Maclean ryanmac335 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 22:24:22 EST 2014

Another very enjoyable day of November hawkwatching here at Audubon
Greenwich. We don't know how these Red-Shoulders keep accumulating over us,
but another 92 passed by us today bringing our seasonal total to a
record-crushing 680 Shoulders. Just to give you a general idea, HawkCount's
projected average for our Shoulder numbers is 133. Red-Tails also continue
to grow in numbers with 63 today. Golden Eagle #11 for the season came by
at 2:12 PM, shortly after an afternoon push of 10 Bald Eagles.

All raptors aside, the highlight for many today was the flock of 10,000+
Grackles that passed by us between 9:30-10 AM (likely the same group seen
by Stefan Martin over Stamford slightly earlier). At times the horizon was
completely blanketed  by a vortex of Grackles.

Major thanks to Dave Salmon and Cynthia Ehlinger who took today's count and
to everyone else who came to help out today: Al Collins, Ken Mirman, Frank
Guida, Stefan & Shaun Martin, Joe Zeranski, Aiden & Erica Kiley, Rachel
Pollock.

November 8th 2014

Black Vulture: 9
Turkey Vulture: 30