[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge 11/3: 5 GOLDEN EAGLES, ROUGH-LEG, Record Turkey Vulture Day

Ryan MacLean ryanmac335 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 21:09:03 EST 2014

By far one of the best November days of hawkwatching I've ever had at Quaker Ridge today. For starters, 5 GOLDEN EAGLES (all juvs) were seen over the course of the day with 1 at 8:50 AM and 4 between 3-4 PM. At one point two Goldens were in the same field of view soaring together when a third Golden crossed their path above them!

As if anything could outshine Goldens, our biggest surprise of the day was a light-morph, adult female ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK seen at 12:47 over the building. As far as I know this is the first sighting of the season in Connecticut and the first at QR in atleast several years.

To top everything off, we were treated to a massive late day Turkey Vulture flight that gave us a new daily record of 309 birds. Large kettles were popping up to our north for nearly a half hour straight between 3:30-4 PM. On the topic of records, 116 Red-Shoulders today left us just 11 short of breaking Friday's new daily high for Shoulders. But we now have a new seasonal record with 508 Shoulders tallied this year.

Despite the great bird totals, today's sky was an endless blue gulf that made it very tricky to find birds. With that in mind we send all our thanks out to Ken Mirman, Mike Warner, Frank Guida, Nancy Glynn, Shaun Martin, Phil & Ann Ribolow, Tim Reed, Bill Wallace and Mike Aurelia who were a huge help in picking all these birds out of the blue today.

November 3rd 2014
Black Vulture: 2
Turkey Vulture: 301
Osprey: 1