[CT Birds] Sherwood Saw-whet Specimen

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 13 12:30:56 EST 2014

Just before leaving Sherwood Island SP this morning,I decided to check the feeder near the nature center one more time.The Rock Pigeons were chowing down and I heard a crow squawking up a storm in the large tree to the right. I looked up and saw a Red-tailed Hawk sitting there,possibly with something in its' talons.When I saw a few feathers fly,I knew for sure it had something.Got my bins on it immediately and thought it might be an owl.My heart stopped.I jumped out of the car and got a closer look and saw the face and feet of a Northern Saw-whet Owl.An awful feeling of helplessness came over me.I hoped the hawk might drop it's prey.The hawk became nervous and flew to a nearby tree and within moments dropped the owl and took off.I retrieved the owl but it was too late.I came home and put the bird in my freezer and will give the owl to Kristof at Yale Peabody.This is one of the sad moments in birding.

Tina Green
Westport
Sent from my iPhone