[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge 11/11: 53 Raptors inc Golden Eagle & late Broad-Wing

Ryan Maclean ryanmac335 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 19:20:45 EST 2014

What was otherwise a slow day was highlighted by the best look we've had at
a Golden Eagle all season at 3:39. The Juvenile bird was first seen over
the north field before it drifted right and eventually headed due South
directly infront of the watch and behind the building. Conveniently enough,
a couple with a five year old kid happened to pull up right when the bird
came by and was able to see it. I don't know how well the little guy saw it
but it was enough for him to let out a "woah." Now if only all Goldens
could be this cooperative.

Also of note was a super-late adult Broad-Wing, obviously using the most
September-like day we've had all month to catch up to his relatives who've
likely made it to Ecuador by now. This warm weather isn't going to last
long though and by Friday we'll have highs in the low 40s. Should make for
some interesting hawkwatching.

November 11th 2014

Turkey Vulture: 36
Northern Harrier: 1