[CT Birds] Turkey Vultures

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Wed Nov 12 21:46:15 EST 2014

Those must have been big trees!

For ten Christmas counts or so, in Shelton along and up hill from the Housatonic River, we managed to find a TV roost somewhere shortly after sunrise before they flew off.  First in trees in a park along the river, then up hill from there in a neighborhood for a few years, in trees, on roofs, even keeping warm over chimneys.  Over the years they gradually shifted neighborhoods, their roost approaching the confluence with the Naugatuck River.  We almost always found at least a few Black Vultures mixed in.  Then between horrible weather and an apparent shift in their habits, nothing.  Great while it lasted!

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT