[CT Birds] Geese at Broadbrook

Mark Szantyr birdinggeek at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 16:42:24 EST 2014

Joy and I went to Broadbrook this afternoon and pretty quickly found the Barnacle Goose and the Greater White-fronted Goose in about 1200 Canada Geese. Also seen were Mallards, Black Ducks, Hooded Mergansers, numerous Green-winged Teal, and 9 flyover Common Mergansers.

Interestingly, though all recent White-fronts I have seen readily fit into the Greenland, " flavirostris" subspecies, this bird I am leaving as indeterminate. The bill seemed less orange and perhaps more pink basally. It did seem appropriately long though. The head and neck were not notably darker than the rest of the body color. The white lateral line was weak and intermittant. The flight feathers on the folded wing were not significantly darker than the rest of the upperparts. I did not see the belly speckling to determine how heavy it was but there was little to no dark on the rear flanks.

Just not sure on this one.

Mark Szantyr