[CT Birds] Neat Observation

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 21 13:30:56 EST 2014

Today as I passed through Bristol Res #7, I saw nothing new, cept did observe something of interest.
Their were about 50 Common Merganser still there, and they were all feeding in a raft. Within them were many Ring-billed Gulls who it appeared were waiting for the Mergansers to surface with a fish, and then stealing it from them. I believe the Merganser must surface with its catch first before swallowing it, and thats the time needed by the Gulls to snatch it away for themselves.
Any one else ever see this watery robbery?

At home - Still getting some Siskin and Purple finch daily plus lots of regulars and a single Tree and Chipping Sparrow. Spring meets winter!

Paul Carrier - Harwinton