[CT Birds] Blank Messages

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sun Nov 23 20:12:30 EST 2014

There has been an increasing number of messages on CTBirds coming through blank, with no body to the message.  Let my try to explain the problem.

CTBirds is text-only.  Messages go out to the list without italics, without bold, without special fonts, without colors, without highlighting.  Just plain text.

Normally email that is formatted (rather than plain) text includes TWO copies of the text: the plain text AND the copy embedded in the formatting instructions.  Some emails systems - particularly from phones - seem to be leaving off the text copy; the system strips off the formatted copy and nothing is left but a blank message.

I can't give specific instructions on fixing this because there are so many different email services and clients (apps) and they are all different.  All I can say is that somewhere there may be a setting for plain text in your email system, and if you have this problem you should probably look for it.

Thanks, and good birding!

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT