[CT Birds] Ravens - Haddam/tylerville

Joe Zygala shilohdad01 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 14:48:35 EST 2014

David,

I can't answer your why question, but I can give you a little history about ravens from just over the border from Ridgefield (I live in the eastern part of Lewisboro, NY).

When I first moved here in 1987 there were no ravens in the area. I started seeing the rare one every so often in the early 2000s (my first note is from 2002).

I take part in the Peekskill, NY, Christmas Bird Count most years. Prior to 2002 they rarely got raven. Starting in 2002 they started getting raven regularly, missing only in 2007. The numbers were still low, usually 1 or 2. Starting in 2008 the numbers jumped, with nothing under 5 and a high of 9.

Back to my own neighborhood, I have been getting raven in small numbers since 2004. I had 2 sitting in trees in my yard after Hurricane Irene. This past June I saw 4 in one location in the Leon Levy Preserve (about 1/4 mile south of the route 35/route 123 intersection), plus another calling from across route 123. If you had been standing at the NY/CT border on route 35 you would have been able to hear them easily, as they were quite vocal.

So, yes, ravens are becoming more common in the Westchester/Fairfield area for some reason. I don't know what that reason is. In Westchester it could be that the wooded areas are maturing to the point where ravens find them good habitat. Most of my town was virtually denuded in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Pictures from that era show mainly open field and pasture with few trees. Now we have quite a bit of wooded land.

Joe Zygala
South Salem (Lewisboro), NY

Sent from my iPad