[CT Birds] Haddam Meadows Shrike

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Wed Nov 26 23:37:50 EST 2014

I have been thinking about this for a long time....brought to the
surface by Patrick's post. This is purely based on my opinion and how
I enjoy birds and birding and in no way disparage anyone else. What
works for me, may not work for anyone else and Vice-versa. Mark
brought up the best point of all....if someone is looking at a bird at
the moment and wants to share this with others, a phone call used to
be how others were alerted.....which has now changed to iphone emails
and text messaging, but still the same idea with a slightly different
method. Very simple....bird being seen, instant notifications about
the bird and the location and others coming to see the bird, its that
simple. Obviously everyone else has their own interests and purposes
for the way they bird, and that's great. For me, I want to enjoy the
birds, learn about the birds, study the birds, and figure out how I
can recreate those birds in art. And I even enjoy it more when others
can enjoy that bird by my alerting them to it while it is still
there!!! Imagine someone finding a Great Skua walking on the beach in
Guilford...and not sending out a "real time" alert until later in the
day after supper when they decided to access ebird and put their
checkmark in the box. The next day you find out about that incredibly
rare bird about the time that incredibly rare bird is on its way to
Newfoundland! I just don't see how this benefits the birding community
in CT by reading about it the next day......the bird WAS here yesterday!

I just don't see how recording a list of birds on an electronic site
makes someone a scientist? I also don't see how this benefits the
local birders in this State when birds are being found and most only
hear about them days later when someone discovers them on ebird
usually after the bird has left the area. I receive the ebird rare
bird alert every night. That's great if I want to read about birds
that were seen yesterday or earlier in the day.

As I mentioned, if that's the way you enjoy birds and birding, that's
great...have a great time! For me, I will enjoy birds when I see them,
and as I see them. I will be the first one to type that alert for
CTBirds on my iphone and text my birding friends and hope others will
join me while the bird is still there and not read about the one you
could have seen.

Keith Mueller