[CT Birds] UConn Snowy Owl

Steve Morytko smorytko at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 29 17:10:48 EST 2014

We left around noon after viewing the bird distantly with Phil and others as it sat on the very top of Horsebarn Hill for about 90 minutes. I returned around 1:30 with some friends and the bird had moved (possibly disturbed by some people walking dogs) to the hill to the north of Kellogg Barn and was still there when I left around 4:15 after returning a third time. In both locations the view was distant but it was better in the latter location. You should definitely bring your scope if you have one.
If we're lucky it will still be present tomorrow. If you're thinking about seeing it don't wait too long as there will be much more potential for disturbance beginning tomorrow afternoon when students return from their break.
Look for Snow Buntings (a small flock was seen near the old barn on the north side), Horned Lark flocks, and Wilson's Snipe around the large puddle in Valentine's Meadow (below and between the Farm buildings and horse barns).
Steve Steve Morytko
Ashford, CT