[CT Birds] Snowy owl

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Mon Dec 1 17:50:28 EST 2014

Owls such as Snowy Owl and Short-eared Owl are open-country birds that choose mostly open landscapes, open like the tundra where they breed.  If they are disturbed in one spot there are usually another hundred to choose from.  They are commonly more active during the day than our local forest-breeding owls, which is not surprising when you consider how long the summer days are up in their breeding grounds.  They can see you coming a long way off, and moving during the day is not unusual for them.  Reports of their location are allowed on the list.

In contrast, our "day roosting" owls often have limited roosting sites, don't typically move around during the day if they can avoid it, and may well get mobbed by other birds when they do move.  Reports of their location are discouraged on the list.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT