[CT Birds] Lighthouse Point Hawk Watch, 12-7-14

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Dec 7 18:03:13 EST 2014

The season is not over! With great help from Jim Cortina and  Lynn James we
managed 115 birds today in 5.5 hours. With December totals added  in we
will be over 11,000 raptors to date, this year.
Notably high Red-tail Count (54) - a lot more than  Red-shoulders. 2 BE - I
juvie, 1 adult. Wind was nasty - strong, gusty  and cold, out of the North
to Northeast. Perfect! Clouds were good but clearing  all day.
No park birds today, they procrastinated a bit but all took off  to the NW.
A lot, probably the majority of Accip. were adults, as were the RTs.  Rs
50/50.
Good chance tomorrow will be productive too - strong northeast  winds all
day, and that worked today.

Lighthouse Point Park, New Haven, US-CT
Dec 7, 2014 9:00 AM - 2:30  PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     LHPP Hawkwatch raptor  totals
9 species (+2 other taxa)

Turkey Vulture  8
Northern  Harrier  1
Sharp-shinned Hawk  14     Typical for  Lighthouse point, although the
birds are coming through very late this  year
Cooper's Hawk  7
Accipiter sp.  2
Bald Eagle   2
Red-shouldered Hawk  19     Typical for Lighthouse  point, although the
birds are coming through very late this year
Red-tailed  Hawk  54
Buteo sp.  3
Merlin  1
Peregrine Falcon   3