[CT Birds] Haddam Meadows Shrike continues

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Dec 14 18:40:19 EST 2014

The Shrike was there when I arrived around 10:30, and thanks in  part to
another birder I was on him within 5 minutes. What we learned very  quickly
is, the bird doesn't stay in one spot for too long.  Even without  being
"pushed,"  every five minutes or so it would fly, sometimes just  a short
distance, sometimes out of sight. But every time, it eventually  appeared again, to
be found by someone, and it was still there in the park  around 1:15.
Today he was in the area from the boat launch at the end of the  park road
north to the first parking pull-off on the outbound road (nearest the
river). At times the bird was in the brushy areas of the small  pond in the
middle of the field, but most often in the trees and  brush along the river.  Did
not seem terribly spooky, as people  sometimes walked by on the road quite
close without flushing it.

Don Morgan, Coventry, Ct
mntncougar at aol.com