[CT Birds] Pileated woodpecker and common raven - Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 14 12:01:11 EST 2014

The birding "gods" must to smiling on me today. Went out here for gas and the newspaper this morning. Going north on Baldwin Hill Road from Washington Depot to New Preston about 10:50 AM a pileated wood[pecker flew across the road going south. This was at a bit of woods on the top of Baldwin Hill after a large stone house on the right and before Baldwin Hill Road intersects with Popple Swamp Road and Kinney Hill Road. After getting gas in New Preston/Marbledale I returned to Washington Depot about 11:30 AM to pick up the a Sunday newspaper at the Washington Food Market in Bryan Memorial Plaza. Getting out my car here I heard a common raven. Did not see the raven but the call was unmistakably a common raven.

David W Babington
Washington, CT