[CT Birds] Coventry Lake, 12-17-14

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Dec 18 07:55:22 EST 2014

I did a 360* around Coventry Lake between about 12:15 and  2:30. I stopped
at 7 locations, 3 of them twice, and I can see just about every  nook and
cranny of the lake from the combination.

American  Coot                 8
Ruddy  Duck                   56+
Bufflehead                8
Mallard                          4
Common Merganser  116 - Best count - lowest was 97. Since  they dive
constantly
                                                   an  exact count is
almost impossible
I saw NO Hooded Mergs, although there have been a few (6 or  less) around
in recent weeks.

The C Mergansers started out in large groups but split up while  I was
there into groups of 5 - 20. The wind was from the northwest, which is  right
down the length of the lake. They would fly to the northwest end  and some
would drift almost to the southeast end before doing it over  again. Other
groups went about half way and paddled back. The Ruddys were all in  the
northeast cove, most off the town beach on Rt 31.

Don Morgan, Coventry, Ct
mntncougar at aol.com

Don Morgan, Coventry, Ct
mntncougar at aol.com