[CT Birds] Odd buteo east river Guilford

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Dec 18 15:02:14 EST 2014

I had brief looks at what I thought was a Rough-legged Hawk over a farm field near the Guilford Salt Meadows Sanctuary.  I noted the dihedral flight style, but could only get edge on looks.  I got it in my scope and just before it dropped below the tree line it banked and I got a brief dorsal view.  What was striking was the white tail outlined in black or dark brown and a rich and extensive rufous color on the upper wing coverts.  Struck me as too big for R-s Hawk.

Probably will remain a mystery, but worth checking any large buteos in the area.  Unfortunately no photos.

Patrick Comins, meriden

Sent from my iPhone