[CT Birds] This weather and rarities

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Sun Dec 28 11:25:50 EST 2014

Yesterday's wonderful warmth and light southwesterly flow undoubtedly
brought other very rare visitors to our state. Patrick Comins titled the
second installment of the Winter Birding Forecast by Audubon Connecticut
and the Roger Tory Peterson Institute of Natural History "Expect the
Unexpected" for a reason!
http://wxedge.com/2014/12/24/expect-the-unexpected/

I just wanted to encourage everyone to get outside and reallyyy keep
your eyes and minds open. This sort of pattern at this unique time can
yield some very impressive birds from our south and west. We often have
a flow like this in autumn (think of all the November rarities we get),
but to find ourselves having a few days like this just before New Year's
is rare in itself and could bring in species we don't often get even as
rarities. Many folks are running down the known birds but please take
the time to check your own patches, artificially warm locations, coastal
pockets of habitat, large open spaces and birdy areas...especially
before we dip to below average temperatures later this week after
today's cold front.

Looking beyond the south/west types there was a Eurasian Kestrel
photographed in Nova Scotia a couple days ago and a Northern Lapwing in
New Brunswick. There may be some very unusual New Year's Day birds for
2015 - if we find them! Good luck.

Scott

--
Scott Kruitbosch