[CT Birds] Red Shoulder Hawks

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 27 13:14:35 EST 2014

Zeranski and Baptist (1990) report the "Swamp Hawk" as a rare nester in the NE and NW parts of the State.

Things have really changed a lot in the past quarter century.  Red-shouldered Hawks are now abundant in most parts of CT, all year round, including the winter.  Red-tails are still almost exclusively teed up along highways, but it is very common to also see Red-shoulders perched along poles and trees near suburban roads.

I'm compiling the Stratford-Milford CBC and have not seen RS Hawk for the 12/21 count day.  Now THAT is unusual!

Steve Mayo