[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Activities in January

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Mon Dec 29 17:26:46 EST 2014

Folks,

Here is the New Haven Bird Club’s schedule of activities during January:

Indoor Meeting:

Thursday, January 8, 2015, 7:00 pm.  John Himmelman.  Birds: Their
Side of the Story.  Whitney Center Cultural Arts Center, 200 Leeder
Hill Drive, Hamden.  Free and open to the public.  How and why did
our best known birds get to be so well known? And what are some of
the crazy things they make us do? John will share light-hearted
stories of birds and birding, from cuisine to cartoons, ornaments to
icons, murmurs to murders. You’ll get a whole new look at the avian
friends we so admire (and some, not so much!)  An author,
illustrator, and naturalist, John is a past president of NHBC and the
Killingworth Land Trust. He co-founded the CT Butterfly Assoc. and
has lectured and led trips throughout the US in search of various
flora and fauna. Some of his books for adults and children on a
variety of natural history subjects will be available for sale and
signing at the meeting.  Social half-hour at 7:00, program begins at
7:30.  For more information: www.newhavenbirdclub.org or 203-230-1697.

Field Trips:

First Wednesday Walk: Sherwood Island St. Park, Westport.  Wednesday,
January 7, 2015, 8:00 am. Free and open to the public.  Enjoy a mid-
week trip to this fine birding spot on Long Island Sound at Exit 18
of I-95.  We will check the Sound for loons, goldeneye, grebes, and
other sea ducks. The park’s fields are a good place to look for
Horned Larks, Snow Buntings, and sparrows. Meet at the main parking
lot in the park. Leader—Tina Green: 203.247.2660,
tina at renaissancestudios.com

Stratford/Milford Birding Tour.   Sunday, January 18, 2015, 7:30
am.   Free and open to the public. Today we visit the marshes and
beaches in Stratford and Milford.  We’ll be looking for sea ducks
including scoters, scaup, loons and grebes, gulls, raptors, and
shorebirds.  Meet at the commuter lot on Schoolhouse Road in Milford
just south of Exit 35 on I-95.
Leader—Chris Loscalzo: 203.389.6508, closcalz at optonline.net

Hammonasset State Park, Madison.  Saturday, January 31, 2015, 8:00
am. Free and open to the public.  Join us as we visit this premier CT
birding location for a mid-winter excursion.  We will be looking for
sea ducks, shorebirds, grassland species, and winter finches. Meet at
the Nature Center parking lot.  We will check several areas in the
park, including the campgrounds area.  Leader and contact person:
Paul Wolter: 860-681-5548 or pwolter6 at earthlink.net.

Thanks,
Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director