[CT Birds] Rhode Island cod boat Alcids and seabirds

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Wed Dec 31 19:08:24 EST 2014

Today Patrick Comins and I spent the day on the Gale Frances cod boat
on Coxes Ledge. We had a superb day for Alcids and other seabirds
which flew steady all day. This is a great opportunity to enjoy the
best winter seabirding southern New England has to offer. If you want
to go birding on the boat, the Frances Fleet offers a great reduced
rate price for birders: $50.00 for the entire day. The Gale Frances
leaves the dock at 6:00 and returns at 3:30 pm. Its a great deal at a
great price! You can check out the schedule on the Frances Fleet web
site (under codfishing schedule)....and the codfishing isn't bad
either if you want to combine your pleasures!!

Here are today's Highlights:

51 Razorbill
43 Large Alcids
15 DOVEKIE (a few swam and flew by within yards of the boat)
14 COMMON MURRE
1 THICK-BILLED MURRE (photos)
55 Gannets
45 Common Loon
16 Bonaparte's Gulls
13 BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE
1-1st cycle LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL
many small flocks of White-winged Scoter (flying east)
both Double-crested and great Cormorant in the Harbor

Small pods of Dolphin
3 Pilot Whales

Keith Mueller
Killingworth, CT