[CT Birds] MacKenzie Reservoir

Jack Swatt jswattbirds at snet.net
Fri Jan 2 10:09:58 EST 2015

    I checked out MacKenzie Reservoir in Wallingford this morning looking for the Greater White-fronted Goose reported yesterday.  I did not find the GWFG, but there was a blue phase SNOW GOOSE present today.  Still a lot of open water at the reservoir.  Also were 52 RING-NECKED DUCK, 3 HOODED MERGANSER, 4 COMMON MERGANSER among the over 500 CANADA GEESE and MALLARDS.
    North Farms Reservoir in Wallingford was mostly iced over, but the waterfowl are keeping a good sized area open close to the parking lot.  Only unusual sighting is a first year COMMON GOLDENEYE with a completely dark head (thanks Jason for the ID help).  Also were 21 AMERICAN COOT among the usual residents.  Bishops pond in Meriden was completely frozen over with 1 lonely CANADA GOOSE walking on the ice.

Jack Swatt
Wolcott