[CT Birds] Milford/Stratford/Orange leisurely birding

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 12:21:08 EST 2015

​1/2/15
Started around 8AM til around-11:30AM.
At Birdseye Boat Ramp
1 AMERICAN BITTERN in reeds, very well camouflaged with bill straight up in
air, 15 Coots, 10Mallards, 16 Gadwall (by Stratford Greenway area), Ring
billed and Herring Gulls.
At Frash Pond- American Black ducks, Buffleheads, Canada Geese, Hooded
Mergansers.
At airport, 1 Northern Harrier-cruising low over marsh, Canada Geese. ( At
Frash Pond, I had pulled over on the side of the road to view the ducks
from another angle, and one guy stopped and asked
"Are you stuck?"  With a hat on my head and the wind howling, I thought he
said "Good ducks?" and I said "Yes", then I heard him better when he asked
what is the problem, and I explained.."Great ducks!"
and he laughed, and wished me a "Great day with the ducks")
At Long Beach-
5 LONG TAILED DUCKS in surf,, 200+ SANDERLINGS running and sitting along
beach edge,
Ring billed & Herring Gulls.  By the Warehouses on Long Beach Blvd- a
Mockingbird and Cardinal.
Mondo Ponds, Milford-
62 RING NECKED DUCKS,  15 HOODED MERGANSERS, AMERICAN WIGEONS, GADWALLS,
AMERICAN COOTS, MALLARDS, CANADA GEESE, RING BILLED & HERRING GULLS,
1 HERMIT THRUSH, BLUE JAYS, ROBINS, WHITE BREASTED NUHATCH, ROCK DOVES,
BM 70 Pond off Racebrook Rd in Orange
11 GREEN WINGED TEAL, MALLARDS, CANADA GEESE.
Very windy out there, but a fun morning.
Bev Propen, Orange