[CT Birds] Stratford Today

sffaulkner at comcast.net sffaulkner at comcast.net
Fri Jan 2 20:14:55 EST 2015

A day in the wind and cold, with some good birds by the end!  Be forewarned if you go, though -- Rt 113 in Stratford was still closed just north of Short Beach and it is a pain in the neck to get around.  Maybe there’s a shortcut I don’t know…  Here are some highlights:

Johnson Creek: American wigeon, 1 greater scaup, hooded mergs, common mergs

Note: I think one was a Eurasian wigeon but it went behind some reeds so I didn’t get a good second look -- can someone verify?

Marsh: N harrier

Long Beach: lots of sanderlings and dunlin amidst the many gulls

2nd avenue: active nest of Monk parakeets (always love them), 2 rb mergs in water

Frash Pond: 2 N pintails, canvasbacks, buffleheads, hooded mergs, mallards, C geese,

Short Beach: mallards, black ducks, 4 canvasbacks mixed in with mallards, Savannah sparrows, lots of gulls;

Birdseye Boat Ramp: coots, mallards, gadwall, N harrier

Peck’s Mill Pond: Fem N. shoveler, mallards, black ducks

Sikorsky River Walk (thanks, Tom, for introducing me to this place!): 3 rw blackbirds

All in all, a very nice day!

Sarah Faulkner

Collinsville

Started around 8AM til around-11:30AM.
At Birdseye Boat Ramp

At Frash Pond- American Black ducks, Buffleheads, Canada Geese, Hooded
Mergansers.
Mondo Ponds, Milford-
62 RING NECKED DUCKS,  15 HOODED MERGANSERS, AMERICAN WIGEONS, GADWALLS,
AMERICAN COOTS, MALLARDS, CANADA GEESE, RING BILLED & HERRING GULLS,
1 HERMIT THRUSH, BLUE JAYS, ROBINS, WHITE BREASTED NUHATCH, ROCK DOVES,
BM 70 Pond off Racebrook Rd in Orange
11 GREEN WINGED TEAL, MALLARDS, CANADA GEESE.
Very windy out there, but a fun morning.
Bev Propen, Orange

Sent from Windows Mail