[CT Birds] Posting Snowy Owl Locations

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Sun Jan 4 10:34:01 EST 2015

This all comes down to education! NOT everyone is a subscriber to ABA
and their "rules" of birding, and quite frankly......ABA and other
organized birding groups do not own these birds. EVERYONE has a right
to see, view and experience these birds in any way they wish providing
it is done with compassion and courtesy for the birds. Many people
with cameras wanting to take pictures of the birds are not usually
photographers just someone with a camera who wants a snap or two of
that bird. Probably the majority of them have no idea about the
delicate condition of these birds in their far from home wintering
grounds. Maybe in a polite way, these people should be confronted and
POLITELY have the Owls plight explained to them instead of yelling,
screaming and threatening them.

Yes, there are irresponsible people out there, and we all have to
accept that! That being the case, we all shouldn't have to suffer
because of a few selfish people. This brings back the protracted
debacle from last years Snowy Owl eruption when the same "Owl police"
came out to save the Owl from ourselves! It was suggested that
limiting viewing times and closing areas should be implemented. It was
also suggested that dead rodents from other areas of the country
should be imported and strategically placed in "supposed Owl feeding
areas" to help them cope. I remember "self-appointed" Owl saviors
running around with nets trying to capture Owls to rush them to the
rehabbers (assuming every Owl was starving) when all that did was
increase pressure on the birds and add incredible stress to them!

Now here we are again, with suggestions not to post Owl sightings
because we humans are completely irresponsible and too stupid to
understand that we shouldn't even look at these Owls because we will
again add extra stress on them. I have a better idea, why not just
make all birding illegal!! It seems there are more "conditions" and
"rules" to birding than running a business!

These Owls are a product of God and/or Mother Nature depending on your
belief, and they are EVERYONES to enjoy! If you want to help the birds
in this stressful time of year, maybe it would be better to educate
people rather than implement more stupid rules! Not posting Owl
locations is a very radical decision....what's next, Rationing??

Keith Mueller