[CT Birds] 12/31 New London Ferry

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 31 19:11:44 EST 2014

>From Frank Mantlik, with Sara Zagorski, Tina Green, and Jory Teltser-
12/31  We rode the 8:00am New London ferry to Orient Point, NY and back. It was pretty lackluster (and cold!), but with these highlights:  1 RED-NECKED GREBE (along east side of Thames River at north end of Electric Boat complex), 2 LARGE ALCID, species (both mid-Sound, both in flight in distance, one in NY waters and one in CT waters), 3 NORTHERN GANNETS (all near Plum Gut as approaching Orient, NY), a raft of about 600 COMMON EIDERS (about 0.5-1.0 mile off of Harkness State Park, Waterford; photos of the flock did not turn up any other species mixed in), 1-2 PEREGRINE FALCONS (New London harbor), 2 Harbor Seals (New London harbor), 4 DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS (New London harbor). There was very little mid-Sound, and even the expected larger numbers of sea ducks (scoters, etc.) in the bay near Orient were not present.  We'll try again Saturday as part of the New London CBC.

Afterwards, we were unsuccessful in our search for the Yellow-breasted Chat at the DEEP Marine HQ in Old Lyme.