[CT Birds] To post or not to post.

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Jan 4 13:35:08 EST 2015

I totally agree with Keith Mueller (below). The original  posting about
Friday at Milford point had some validity, but I was there,  and everyone I
saw who got close enough to the bird to flush it was a  photographer and NOT a
birder. I say that simply because they had only cameras,  neither bins nor
scopes. And the fact is, they will be there whether or not we  post, because
they don't follow our rules and have their own grapevine for  information.
For me, the other issue is, the "in" crowd in the birding  community will
always know too, but the people who perhaps have never even seen  one and
would appreciate it most will not even find out until a week after it's  gone.
Last year when there were more  owls,  I really saw very little of what
could remotely be considered harassment, and several owls were saved because
people observed that the birds were in distress and took action to have them
 rehabilitated. In particular, the one rescued from Long Beach was rescued
because a man who is a photographer and not a birder called it in to a
rehabber,  who subsequently went and got the bird. Everyone has an equal right
to enjoy our  special winter visitors.
Don Morgan, Coventry, Ct
_mntncougar at aol.com_ (mailto:mntncougar at aol.com)
Message: 4