[CT Birds] Info about another listserv which is currently restricting some sightings

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Sun Jan 4 17:29:35 EST 2015

Hi Carolyn, Great topic! Yes Rachel decided to not post rare waterfowl
on that email alert list to just as you explained to "protect" rare
waterfowl during the last part of the waterfowl season.

I do have to add first that Harlequin Ducks on the Atlantic Flyway
have been protected since 1988, you cannot legally take Harlequin
Ducks. I can also shed a little light on this subject regarding "rare"
or "desired" Waterfowl being reported on Listservs. I know many
Waterfowl hunters and have known many for many years, in fact I was
(not any more) an very avid waterfowler for 25 years myself. I can
assure you and anyone worried about posting waterfowl on the listservs
that all of the waterfowl hunters I know are far more in tune with
what species of ducks and geese are around than the majority of
birders. Waterfowlers spend hours and hours more time scouting
waterfowl in the field from shore and have the added advantage of
having boats; they scout from the water and cover greater distances
usually far beyond the range of scopes.

The network of waterfowl hunters, waterfowl hunting guides and hunting
Biologists is vast...far exceeding the normal birding contacts and
listservs. Believe me, every waterfowl hunter I know, knows the exact
location of just about every King Eider along the New England coast
including many more that go undetected by birders, or where all the
Eurasian Wigeon are. I give huge kudos to many of the waterfowlers I
know that will not hunt in bird/birding sensitive areas because they
respect the sensitivity issues surrounding hunting in those areas.

Also many species of ducks and geese are often seen on private
property and closed areas out of the reach of waterfowl hunting. Yes,
there may be a few who follow the listserv drooling over rare
waterfowl sightings to try and use them to their advantage. But
overall, I think this has become a big nothing issue. I think birders
in this case are patting themselves on the back too much! As I
mentioned before, most avid waterfowlers know more than most avid
birders regarding waterfowl locations.

Keith Mueller