[CT Birds] Rules

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sun Jan 4 20:30:38 EST 2015

>> Why aren't Snowy Owls considered day-roosting owls?

>> From the GPS tracking of Snowy Owls along the coast last winter I would
>> characterize coastal Snowy Owls as predominantly "day-roosting owls."

When I talk about this I talk about two groups, day roosting owls and open-country owls.  Snowy Owls are open-country owls.  In the summer they deal with extremely long days, and so have to be at home in the light.  In open habitat they can not rely on concealment like a Long-eared Owl buried in a thicket; some disturbance and movement over the course of the day is pretty much inevitable.  I am not comparing their daytime activity to their level of activity at night, but rather to usual level of daytime activity of day-roosting owls.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT