[CT Birds] Rusty Blackbird Blitz 2015

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Wed Jan 7 10:26:45 EST 2015

Good morning all! I am the Connecticut Coordinator for the 2015 Rusty
Blackbird Blitz, and I want to ask for your help this upcoming spring
migration season in aiding a species in the midst of one of the most
precipitous declines of any North American bird:
http://rtpi.org/rusty-blackbird-blitz-2015/

To identify migratory hotspots, understand migration timing, and inspire
the public to support Rusty Blackbird conservation, the International
Rusty Blackbird Working Group developed and launched a three-year Rusty
Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz in March 2014. While rangewide Blitz
dates span the beginning of March through mid-June, each state and
province focuses efforts during peak Rusty migratory activity for its
region. Here in Connecticut, our peak Blitz dates are mid-March through
April, when the majority of Rusties will travel through our region.

To participate, birders scour the landscape for Rusties and report their
data to eBird (www.eBird.org) under the “Rusty Blackbird Spring
Migration Blitz” observation type, allowing the Blitz to tap into an
existing network of citizen scientists and to encourage new supporters
to use a broad-based conservation tool. These data will be used to
identify Rusty Blackbird hotspots across the landscape and assess
whether critical stopover areas are adequately protected. The ultimate
goal is to ensure that Rusty Blackbirds have access to high-quality
habitat throughout a journey that is energetically costly and already
fraught with peril.

If you run a local Audubon chapter or group, publish bird and
conservation news in Connecticut, or would like to help get the word out
on your own, please pass this on and feel free to use this article!
Please email me for more information or with any questions and again,
please see the article for more details and photos:
http://rtpi.org/rusty-blackbird-blitz-2015/

Additionally, this is the 2015 Areas of Interest map for Rusties, places
we want surveys and results from as much as possible:
http://rustyblackbird.org/outreach/migration-blitz/2015-areas-of-interest/

Let's see who can tally and enter the most Rusty Blackbirds in 2015.
Thank you!
Scott

--
Scott Kruitbosch