[CT Birds] Mew/Common Gull at 12:30, and another interesting gull.

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Wed Jan 7 13:20:55 EST 2015

The Mew/Common Gull was on the river at approx. 12:30 with Ken Elkins, Ron Pelletier, and Russ Naylor observing. We ran into Mark and Frank, but the bird had shifted and we lost track of it by then.

It was actually on the lawn across the river near the real estate sign.   It briefly  landed on the river a bit closer to us.  The Greater White-fronted Goose was present, close to shore among the Canada Geese.   There was another very interesting first cycle "gray-winged" gull present in the flock, up on the grassy hillside.  Views were distant and the wind, cold and light were making good views difficult.  It could be a dark Iceland Gull, but seemed a bit on the bulky side, even compared to some nearby Herring Gulls and definitely was not the first cycle Iceland that I saw this morning.   Wingtips were silvery-gray not black or white, bill was black and fairly big.   Views were such that I don't even want to venture a guess as to its id, but something to keep any eye out for.

Two Purple Finches at the feeders at the Bent this morning.

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut