[CT Birds] Feeder activity

smkbard at cox.net smkbard at cox.net
Fri Jan 9 11:14:21 EST 2015

Adding to the discussion of activity around CT feeders this winter, I will note that in late fall I was plagued by a group of House Sparrows that drained feeders.  However, they have disappeared.  For weeks, I have had a small but regular band of winter birds including Chickadees, Titmice, House Finches, Juncoes, Goldfinches, WB Nuthatches and Downy Woodpeckers.  Today, in the snow, the usually ground-feeding Juncoes flew onto the sunflower tube feeder--a behavior I have seen in past winters.  Hawk activity has not been common, though we have had a Cooper's Hawk occasionally harass the feeder area.

Steve Kotchko
Wethersfield