[CT Birds] pelagics around Bevertail SP, via [RI Birds] 1/9/15

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Fri Jan 9 17:21:45 EST 2015

This is what winter seabirding is all about, and what many of us look
forward to! But in actuality, this report is not so unusual for
January at Beavertail with strong 40+ mph westerly (or even better
with strong easterly) winds. I go there often and really look forward
to these conditions. Actually, I am surprised the Gannet numbers were
this low, and no mention of sea ducks in the report. That is a good
number of Razorbill, but again, for these conditions not a surprise.

I would highly recommend if you have never spent a morning at
Beavertail in January with 40+ mph winds, you don't know what you are
missing! Its a great place to go seabirding, but can be a little cold!

Pt. Judith is also a premier location (and often a better location)
with these winds....unfortunately the Fisherman's Park at Camp Cronin
is closed at this point while the Army Corp. or Engineers repair the
damaged sea wall.

Good Birding,

Keith Mueller