[CT Birds] Possible Orchard Oriole?

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 10 07:46:30 EST 2015

David,
Glenn Williams provides a possible alternative in Western Tanager. In winter in CT, that is rare but still far more likely than Orchard Oriole. Bullock's and Baltimore Orioles are also possible.  If it returns, look at the bill. If it's fairly thin, long and distinctly pointed, then its probably an Oriole. If the bill is stouter, more blunt, and yelloish/orange, then it would be a Tanager. Try to obtain photos if you can, even distant ones with a phone or a point-and-shoot camera.
Good luck.
Frank Mantlik
Stratford, CT