[CT Birds] Woodpecker on Ebird rare bird alert

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sat Jan 10 10:42:22 EST 2015

The downy in the picture is described in the notes as a downy.  The bird in question is to the left of it.

I downloaded the full-size copies of almost all the pictures and tried to study them.  They leave a lot to be desired.  In particular there is nothing showing the back.  I was unable to eliminate Yellow-bellied Sapsucker; the narrow white patch on the edge of the folded wing of the sapsucker is missing on all the photos except possibly the last one, the one one showing the left side.  BUT, not all sapsuckers have that white patch.  The lack of any of the large expanses of black expected on the three-toed is not encouraging, but with almost nothing but belly-views, well who knows?  I don't.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT