[CT Birds] Prospect - Ravens and woodpeckers after EAB

jtriana1 at sbcglobal.net jtriana1 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 11 15:42:10 EST 2015

Prospect - 1/11 - This morning on a walk around the center of town...

3 turkeys in woods

2 ravens on top of Long River Middle School - Eating something (probably
plucked from the dumpsters) on top of the school.  One of the birds looked
especially scruffy and had a white patch on its chest.

Re: Woodpeckers and EAB - In  the last 2 years, we've seen a lot of extreme
flecking damage to ash trees from woodpeckers trying to get at Emerald Ash
Borer's inside the trees.  I never witnessed a woodpecker doing this until
this morning when I observed a Hairy Woodpecker stripping bark off a tree
next to LRMS.  Later in the afternoon, I heard something in our woods like I
did with the Hairy in the morning.  I looked up and saw a Pileated
Woodpecker chiseling the bark off of one of our ash trees.  He stayed there
for about an hour working the tree trunk from 10'-50' up.  There is a ring
of ash-bark-mulch around the base of the tree now.  Impressive, but there is
only so much one woodpecker can do to stop EAB.

Thanks,

JT

John Triana

Prospect