[CT Birds] 1/11 - Fairfield Birding: Common Eider, Red-necked Grebe, Redhead +

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 16:58:57 EST 2015

>From Alex Burdo:
1/11 - Fairfield, Fairfield Metro Conservation Area -- 2 PEREGRINE FALCON,
2 AMERICAN PIPIT, 4 Savannah Sparrow.
1/11 - Fairfield, Pine Creek Beach -- 1 adult male COMMON EIDER (as
reported earlier), seen with Jim Orrico.
1/11 - Fairfield, Sunken Island -- The COMMON EIDER was also seen here
(better views than Pine Creek Beach; seen with Aidan and Erika Kiley) as
well as 1 flyby RED-NECKED GREBE and 1 Red-throated Loon.
1/11 - Fairfield, Jennings Beach -- 2 REDHEAD (male/female), seen extremely
well in the company of a flock of Greater Scaup and Bufflehead. These birds
were present along the Jennings walk, right alongside the mouth of Ash
Creek (thus they were definitely visible from St. Mary's in Bridgeport as
well). After viewing the Redheads for awhile (poor phonescoped photos
obtained), I took a short walk back to my car to retrieve my camera. When I
returned, they were gone. It is possible that these birds had flown off to
roost, as a few minutes after my return, the combined Greater
Scaup/Bufflehead flock began to rapidly disperse, with birds presumably
flying off to their roosting locations. To find this pair, I would
recommend first trying the mouth of Ash Creek. If they're not present there
, I would scan all scaup flocks in the vicinity of Jennings Beach, west to
the Penfield Reef.
1/11 - Fairfield, Perry's Mill Ponds -- 1 Pied-billed Grebe, first spotted
by Frank Gallo.

Alex Burdo
Fairfield