[CT Birds] MEW GULL-yes

Ryan Maclean ryanmac335 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 16:01:46 EST 2015

Incase anyone wanted an update, the bird made a second brief appearance
around 1:15 in the same field behind the Mitchell Farm barns before it
quickly disappeared again. I'm unaware if its been seen since. We initially
only saw the bird's back but even without the head being in view at first
the bird's visibly whiter tertials (the area of white above the black
wingtips) stood out alot next to the surrounding Ring-Bills. While some RBs
will certainly have more white than others, this could be a useful way to
narrow down needle candidates while you're trying to sift through the
haystack. Major props to Frank who spotted the 2nd-cycle Lesser
Black-Backed Gull as it flew in and landed amongst the flock (and then
quickly vanished).