[CT Birds] Southbury Mew Gull +

philiprusch at charter.net philiprusch at charter.net
Sat Jan 10 17:10:09 EST 2015

Today at and near the Mitchell Farm and along the river with Glenn
Williams and Bob Dewire and others, the following were observed:

I had a very frustratingly brief, 5-10 second look at the Adult "Common"
Mew Gull in the field at the corner of River Road and Purchase Brook
Road.  As I was passing the scope over to Bob, the flock took flight,
never to regroup as one flock.  We never had a sniff of the bird again.
A very frustrating day of gull searching.

Other birds seen today included 3 Wood Duck, 6-8 American Pipits, 2-3
Lesser Black-backed Gull including 1 adult and 1 or 2 first cycle birds,
and a first winter Golden Eagle.  Also others saw the continuing Greater
White-fronted Goose on the river.

The gull flock, which was around 700 birds today, was mostly spread out
between the river, the aforementioned field, and the fields behind the
barns.  The quick glimpse of the bird was around 11:30 this morning when
the majority of the flock was in one location. There was also some
turnover, since we only saw the adult Lesser Black-baked Gull once
during the day.

Phil Rusch
Chaplin, CT