[CT Birds] Project SNOWstorm presentation at this Tuesday's Hartford Audubon meeting @ 7:30pm

Don Crockett doncrockett63 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 23:12:37 EST 2015

Are the Snowy Owls that visit us in southern New England starving diurnal
tundra-loving rodent-eaters?

I'll be giving a presentation on Project SNOWstorm and some of the things
we've learned about Snowy Owl behavior from tracking 22 owls last winter
using GPS transmitters.  I'll discuss some background about last year's
unprecedented irruption and how Project SNOWstorm got started. Then I'll
focus on the GPS tracks of some owls along the coast of MA & NJ so people
can better understand the hidden lives of the Snowy Owls we see locally.

I've been involved with Project SNOWstorm since the beginning of 2013
(about a month after the project started). I'm the developer of the Google
Maps app that is used on Project SNOWstorm's web site to explore the GPS
data of their 23 owls (1 new owl was tagged this winter with more to come).

You can learn more about Project SNOWstorm at their website:

The presentation will be at the usual Hartford Audubon monthly meeting
     St. James Episcopal Church
     1018 Farmington Ave.
     West Hartford, CT

Refreshments are served at 7:00 PM and the meeting will begin at 7:30 PM.

More meeting info at: http://www.hartfordaudubon.org/fpw.htm

Don Crockett
Great Blue Media Works, Owner - http://greatblue.com
Project SNOWstorm, Google Maps Wrangler - http://projectsnowstorm.org