[CT Birds] Painted Bunting/Gyrfalcon

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 13 07:21:04 EST 2015

Michael,
Yes the male Painted Bunting is wintering at Cove Is. Park (intersection Cove Rd. & Weed Ave), Stamford. It's being seen in the small woods with dense thickets just north (and west) of the tennis courts. Upon entering the park, keep right and park near the courts (just north of the large ice rink building). The bird can go unseen for hours, but most days pops out at the edge of those woods on the eastern edge and/or along the NW side of the courts. Between 9:00 and 10:30 am seems to be a particularly good time. It's always low and often hidden. Persistence and frequent scanning of the woods edge usually pays off. The bunting also flies north across Cove Rd to the various house yards, including one with solar collectors that has feeders in the back (right side of house); you can look from foot of driveway.

As far as other sites:
1. A check of the Cove Is bird sanctuary (extreme SW corner of park, south of ice rink and baseball field- walk through metal gate) is well worth it; it has feeders too that attract a lot.
2. Holly Pond (north on Weed Ave) holds many waterfowl and gulls.
3. Greenwich Point Park in Greenwich (exit 5 or 6 off I-95) is open to all in winter, and has many habitats- great birding! Especially check out the holly grove (small lot on left before you drive through the one-Lane stone pillars). There are feeders, nice thickets, and the berry-laden hollies : loaded with land birds. You can drive the loop road to view the cove and LI Sound from various spots.
Good luck!
Frank Mantlik
Stratford

Sent from my iPhone