[CT Birds] RI Cod boat Alcids

James Purcell jpurcell1616 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 22:25:42 EST 2015

I apologize for the extralimital post, but Keith Mueller and I went on the
Lady Frances Cod Boat today to look for alcids around Cox's Ledge, and
seeing as the boat embarks from Narragansset, not too far from the CT
border, we thought CT birders might be interested to know what's going on
out there.

The quantity of alcids was incredibly low and the day was extremely slow at
times, but the quality of the birds seen were excellent. Highlights
included:

60 Northern Gannet
4 Dovekie
7 Common Murre
2 Thick-billed Murre
11 Razorbill
30 large alcid sp.
30 Black-legged Kittiwake
1 Iceland Gull (first year bird)
1 Purple Finch (a very lost female-type bird)

Overall it was a great day to be out, with cloudy skies and excellent
scanning conditions, and I highly recommend this trip, which runs every day
(weather permitting) for any CT birders who have interest in seeing alcids
relatively close by.

James Purcell
Fairfield