[CT Birds] Red-shouldered Hawks

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Jan 17 18:14:04 EST 2015

I have been noticing this entire winter that there seems to be  a
higher-than-normal number of Red-shouldered Hawks in the area where I live and  most
of the places I've been birding. I've been told by others from different
parts of the state that they haven't seen it, but I'm convinced that's the
case  here and in many places I've been. Normally there are many more Red-tails
in  winter than RS, but around here it's very close to even.
Normally, I see Red-shoulders returning in numbers up here in  the
northeast starting in early to mid-February. I Have a pair that nests every  year in
the woodlot across the street from me and that's always when I first see
them. However, this year, at least up to about 5 days ago, they are still
here!  I assume they are planning to try to winter over at this point.
At the Quaker Ridge Hawk Watch they set a record far exceeding  any
previous number for Red-shoulders this year. I wonder, if there was an  exceptional
number of 1st year birds, if some of them just never went any  farther
south. But I must add that at least in my immediate area, most of the  Shoulders
I've seen have been adults.
But the conclusion to this long-winded ramble is, I think there  are a lot
more Red-shouldered Hawks in Ct this year than is  normal.

Don Morgan, Coventry, Ct
mntncougar at aol.com