[CT Birds] Red Shoulder Hawks

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Sun Jan 18 08:33:35 EST 2015

Hi, Kevin!
Red-shouldereds will also eat small mammals (rodents, probably also
squirrels) and sometimes feeder-birds, so that's how they stay running
through the winter months.
We had a pair nest in our neighboring woods for about 10 years before
moving on. There was some tree-clearing in our area, so it may have
gotten uncomfortable for them. Since then, the great-horned owls have
moved in (they re-use red-shouldered nests), as have the red-tailed
hawks, who like more open hunting grounds. So it all cycles around!
:-)  Tammy Eustis, Chester