[CT Birds] Stevenson Dam, Shelton; Mitchell Farm, Bent of the River, Southbury

James Winkelmann james.winkelmann at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 20:05:45 EST 2015

Stopped at a few spots today, like others I too had a couple Siskins, first
I've seen since late October.

Stevenson Dam, Shelton: (upper Lake Zoar remains fully frozen, lower almost
all clear...)

Common Merganser - 14
Bufflehead - 6
Mallard - 33
Am. Black Duck - 18
Red-tailed Hawk - 1 (very pale, almost all white below...)
American Robin - 3
Dark-eyed Junco

Mitchell Farm / River Road, Southbury:

Peregrine Falcon - 1 (seen over field East of Purchase Brook Rd, just N of
Mitchell Farm)
Pine Siskin - 3 (along River Road heading back to I84)
Hermit Thrush - 1
Eastern Bluebird - 6
Am. Tree Sparrow - 3
Song Sparrow - 12
Dark-eyed Junco
Mute Swan - 2
Common Merganser - 12
Hooded Merganser - 2
Red-tailed Hawk - 1
Ring-billed Gull (don't have the chops to sort out a Mew from these
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Canada Geese
Am. Black Duck
Am. Crow
Eur. Starling

Bent of the River Audubon Sanctuary, Southbury:

Field Sparrow - 1 (either very late, or not going at all I guess, but no
Am. Tree Sparrow - 4
Hairy Woodpecker - 1
Red-tailed Hawk - 3
Common Merganser - 2
By the feeders, the usual assortment in frenzied abundance, didn't count.
You'd think an enterprising young Coop or Sharpie would take advantage
here, but not today...
White-breasted Nuthatch
Downy Woodpecker
Blue Jay