[CT Birds] Hudson River eagles

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Thu Jan 15 22:59:50 EST 2015

The winter Bald Eagle numbers in the northeast are, as you suggest, largely dependent on ice.  Don't just think ice in the Hudson River, or any specific location, but the entire Hudson watershed plus all the various New England rivers and watersheds.  They commonly stay as far north as open water will allow, and as it varies over the season can move both south and north as they choose.  Flying from CT to Delaware (or the reverse!) for one example is not a major trip for these birds.  The Eagle Watch in Southbury at the Shepaug Dam tends toward high numbers when everything else around is frozen just because the dam keeps that water open as well as leaving the fish who come over vulnerable.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT