[CT Birds] Red-shouldered Hawks - East Haddam

Jay jayboll at optonline.net
Sat Jan 17 17:15:46 EST 2015

Thanks, all who responded.

I'm a casual birder.  Having never seen a Red-shouldered Hawk in CT in
winter, I had no idea they're so common!

Jay Boll, Norwalk

Message: 10
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 14:17:59 -0700
From: <teustis at killingworthlibrary.org>
To: "Jay" <jayboll at optonline.net>, "CT Birds"
	<ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Red-shouldered Hawks - East Haddam
<20150117141759.f6d888fdd9e3baeb0275c3f3a9ec780d.f148ab74ee.wbe at email24.secu

Hi, Jay!
Red-shouldereds, like other birds of prey, are starting to scope out
nesting territories during this time of year. They'll pair off and start
mating as early as February. So it's possible you saw all different
birds - they're just more active now, so you're more likely to see them.
(I heard our resident red-shouldered calling today, too.)
:-)  Tammy Eustis, Chester