[CT Birds] Kestral Aviary

John Pfitzner jkat61 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 18 14:08:59 EST 2015

I think what you need is not called wire mesh or hardware cloth. Wire mesh is square in
Shape and has even dimensions : 1/2 by 1/2 etc. You need welded wire fencing, which
Has a rectangular shape and non square dimensions : 1/2 x 1 inch. As far as gauge of wire
I think you meant 19 gauge, 19 gauge converted to decimal is 0.041 ( 41 thousands of an inch )
Which is the most common size for aviaries. The lower the gauge number the thicker the wire.
I am also planning on building a 6 ft tall 4 ft wide by 30inch deep aviary and could not locate 1/2 x 1/2 x 25ft pvc coated
Wire mesh ( Hardare cloth ) at any retail lumber or hardware store. 100ft rolls are available, but I only need 25ft roll.
I assume that the cage you are building is at least 6x4x3, So you will need at least 25ft long by 4ft high roll.
Rolls come in 25, 50, 100ft lengths.
You can try Agway, or Tuxis in Madison, But if you need 25 -50ft roll you will probably have to order it
And have it shipped to your location. try these guy's, This is where I am getting the mesh for my
Flying Squirrel aviary. Great prices and still worth it, with shipping charge still cheaper than retail.
John Pfitzner
Clinton Ct

More information about the CTBirds mailing list