[CT Birds] Niantic River and bay

Emmayct at cs.com Emmayct at cs.com
Mon Jan 19 21:48:05 EST 2015

Niantic River was alive with birds albeit common ones.
Many groups of Canada Geese coming and going.
At least 50 Swans in groups of 5 or 6
A cute group of Buffleheads who flew close enough for me to ID them from
the Cini walkway on rt 156.
Many other ducks to far off to ID without a scope.

Then I walked to the boardwalk/Amtrak beach just south of the 156 bridge in
Niantic.
I was enchanted by 4 Sanderlings running up and down the beach. They were
aware of but unintimidated by the 5 or 6 dogwalkers. I positioned myself at
the water line and watched them with my bins. One ran so close by me that I
lost focus because it was too close. Had the impression it ran right over my
foot!

Such a nice day to be out.

Maryann in Niantic

</HTML>